Monday, April 03, 2006

This is not your father's Cyberpunk

...but it's not CyberGeneration or CP v.3, either.

It has been decided that I would be volunteered to run a regular roleplaying game of Cyberpunk 2020 for the Renegades as part of our regular Thursday game.

I'm bringing in massive house rules this time. One large chunk covers character creation and is more-or-less the standard stuff from the rulebook, just meatier.

Not for the first time, I wish that TableSmith or something like it was available for the Mac. I've always loved random idea generators as a creative tool, either using cards or dice or just choosing something from a list. Not for the first time, I wish for automated random generators. To get an idea what I mean, take a look over at Seventh Sanctum and play around. Times like this, I really do wish I could program. Maybe this urge will be strong enough that I might act on it. I have been looking at Ruby, after all.

The second chunk of additions is crazier. I've decided to use Keys from TSoY's Solar System for experience points. You hear that, Clinton? Wacky Indie Narrativist Player-Story-Control merged with the game that brought GM advice in the form of a book called (and I swear that I am not making this up) Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads! In all seriousness, I actually think that Keys might translate well to Interlock and its Improvement Points, as well as my traditionally character-centric reactive style of running.

We made characters last Tuesday, and I run this Thursday.

No comments: