Saturday, January 20, 2007

Nickel Tour: A Scanner Darkly (2006)

Here's the nickel tour:

Bubbling up to the top of the Netflix queue since I missed it in theaters about six months ago, I'm glad I saw this animated feature. Technically, it's a dream. The rotoscoping, I mean- unquestionably the right choice for the film and totally gorgeous on the eyes. Literarily, parts of it are dreamlike, too; the drug culture is pretty pervasive, even with the transplanted seventies-era mentality through a thirty-year lens.

That said, I'm not really sure I enjoyed this, need to see it again, or can positively recommend it. If you like Philip K. Dick, go for it. If you like the director, Richard Linklater, you'll probably like it. I have to say it could be shorter. I give it a "Really good to just look at."

No comments: