Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

Hello to everyone.

Sorry for the mass email, but there are some big things going on down there in the Gulf. Cat and I are now safe in Montgomery, Alabama. We left early, lucked out and got a pretty awesome room at Days Inn with wireless and both a Chinese buffet and Waffle House within walking distance. You see my priorities here? :) There's also a pool.

But seriously, she and I did luck out. My mom woke us up about 7:10AM, we got on the road about 9AM, checked in here about 6:30PM. Somewhere between Mobile and Montgomery, we drove through some of Katrina's feeder bands. Within the last two hours, all the rooms have filled up. CNN says that there are still people on the road now, and it's gridlock to Baton Rouge and beyond. I also hear that some 12,000+ people are holed up in the Dome right now, sleeping on the bleachers with only what they brought, including food and water. Like I said, we lucked out.

We didn't bring much, since we wanted to get on the road as quickly as possible. I don't mean to be bleak, but we have no idea what's going to happen. I hope that we'll have a place to come back to. I just have to keep hoping for the best.

Most of my other mail accounts are down right now- I've got two servers in my trunk, and Tulane's emergency page states they've already took the mail server offline. As long as Google is still up, you can reach me at this address. If you feel like calling, try my Nextel, but cell service has been spotty at best.

If I haven't talked to you and you evacuated, let us know that you're safe.

Everyone, please keep your fingers crossed.

MDK

No comments: