Thursday, June 14, 2007

Working the the Coal Mine

I have a job.

My temp agency/staffing people/recruiter/whatever have come through and found a position for me at a local Austin company- I'm going to be rolling out laptops to end-users for a month. The timing is right (only a month-long project), the location is actually within the city limits (and about ten or fifteen minutes from my apartment), and the pay isn't insulting. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the actual work will be very interesting, but working directly with a lot of end-users scratches an important itch for me.

For some reason, a drug test is good for a year, but a background check is only good for three months. That seems backwards to me, but what do I know? I'm not a professional nationwide staffing agency. The notion of a drug test to do work (particularly for computer monkey work) makes me standoffish and slightly offended.

Yes, I had to pee in a cup and give it to a man. Small comfort that I've never worked a job having to handle other humans' bodily fluids.

1 comment:

Russ Williams said...

So far in my life I've managed to avoid jobs that think they have the right to check my bodily fluids. I like to imagine I'd say "No. Why do you care what's in my piss?" if asked, though of course if I really needed the money badly enough I guess I would submit.

If I do bad work fire me. That should be what a company cares about, not what chemicals I might or might not put into my own body on my own time. It's amazing to me that it has become so common in the US for employers to assume the right to do drug tests. Hurray for the so-called land of the free. In conservative Poland, for example, you would never have to piss in a cup for a job like that.