Monday, September 26, 2005

That's the lot.

I posted my previously only-sent-to-friends emails here, maintaining the timestamps to give me the sense of chronicling that is inherent to any sort of journal, diary, travelogue or blog.

So is this a blog, or is this a glorified journal? I'm tempted to say it's a blog to remove some of the assumptions of the typical LiveJournaler. I don't yet know the direcction I will take this series of postings- At this point, I'm content to keep it constantly updated. Of course a blog implies more facts and news than a journal. As I hone my game design and movie critique skills, this blog will certainly come into play.

I just talked to my mother. Our old realtor, the amazing Rere Avegno, has found a place for my grandparents to live in Metaire while they take care of their house in Lakeview. This is good, as they're currently living out of a hotel in BFE, Mississippi. My mom asked me if we were coming back. I said I didn't know. Austin is very cool, and I do miss New Orleans. I don't think I'm going to be able to stay away forever, but I also don't think I'd be able to return any time soon. I've got my head (and of course, the rest of me) into a place where I have a bed, food, power and internet. The man has his cave and he's not going to leave it.

But Katrina is such a huge phenomenon- it's not like other hurricane parties, where you get a day or two off work. I'm part of a massive population uprooting the likes of which hasn't been seen for generations, if not more than a century. Cat's mom points out that our generation now has its own history-making event. Is Katrina the same as Vietnam?

In lighter news, Neil Gaiman is coming to Book People (the largest independent bookstore in the nation) today. I'm going to wear my "Still proud to call it home" shirt.

No comments: