Thursday, September 01, 2005

Today's post-Katrina update

Hello from the Eastern time zone.

Cat and I are safe at the downtown Days Inn in Atlanta, GA. After the con, we're checking out Monday, and going to relocate to Austin, Texas. Rent is cheap, I have a lead on a job, Cat can easily get one, and my brother is there to help coordinate and keep us sane and happy, with our noses wet and our coats shiny. I don't know our exact travel plans, so we may yet wind up on someone's couch.

Today was rough. I nearly lost it this morning over a bottle of Tabasco over breakfast in a Waffle House. According to the interim web site, Katrina did not affect the Tabasco Production. Cat tells me they've got crops somewhere in South America to keep our taste buds in fear. I can barely keep watching the news- it just keeps getting worse and worse.

I got this link to a current satellite photo of New Orleans. Our house is under a cloud. Be advised this is a 3.2 meg file, so you may not want to download it over dialup.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/katrina/new_orleans_msi_aug31_2005_dg.jpg

I'm sure the legions of Klingons, Stormtroopers, and fandom here are going to sympathize with our plight. I may cobble together a didjeridoo and play for tips.

No comments: