Thursday, October 20, 2005

Back to the land of LAMRON

For those of you keeping track at home: Taxi, plane, train, bus, plane, car.

I'm back in New Orleans for the next few days, leaving Sunday AM. Today has been eventful and exhausting. A quick overview:

Up til 4am last night, waffling on the decision to go and by what means. Bought an early flight ticket, woke at 6:30 AM, caught my 8:45 flight, arrived NOLA at ~11:30. Had lunch with my mom and Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw at the welcome Zea Rotisserie & Grill, who quite simply make the best damn grits I've ever tasted.

Ate a medium-well burger ...sigh. ...but I had a side of roasted corn grits! W00T! Also, the interim Zea waitstaff tshirts brought a smile.

Swung by Nextel, saw my good friend Carl; swung by USPS, picked up some mail; swung by UPS to ascertain status of shipped package, found the storefront stripped to the studs; went back to the apartment for a final final pass at collecting stuff.

Packing has been like uncovering the archaeological Mischa. Today I found items an memorabilia from before meeting Cat, from college, from high school, from middle school, from grade school, and from being a small child playing with toys.

Spent about four or five hours in the apartment, which amazingly had power- so I could breathe mold and funk, but at least it would be air-conditioned mold and funk! I retrieved the little didj and a bunch of photos, the key to the firebox and a handful of books what got overlooked, some computer gear and a lot of keepsakes. Gave a TV to Carl.

Got a ride with Bennett, watched he, Leslie, and his parents eat sushi- they'd just gotten back power after being on the generator. Visited, enlisted Bennett's aid in driving my stuff back to my mom's. Ate some leftover macaroni and homemade meatballs.

Tomorrow I wake on time to go to Lakeview. Honestly almost more preoccupied with starting the day without a breakfast Dr Pepper.

No comments: