Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Go east, young man

Tomorow is a day of driving. Our plan is to circumvent the swollen urbanosphere that has become Baton Rouge's poorly planned civic layout by driving a secret ninja route. The not-so-secret ninja route is highway 90 from Lafayette through Morgan City, then on to the 310, then the I-10.

I'm looking so forward to seeing home again, but there are many caveats. How big is the collapsed ceiling in the bathroom? How bad is the leak in the bedroom? What effect did Rita have on the house? Can I even get to the house? What's the neighborhood like? Is the library undamaged? Can I handle seeing the damage to my city and my home? The last is the biggie- to some extent, I've been operating in survival mode. I can only imagine that I will experience what the Red Cross so delicately refers to as a "perfectly normal reaction to an abnormal event."

The next post will be from my mom's place in Metairie. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to share pictures. But rest assured, they shall arrive.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Good luck tomorrow, dude. All your DC gaming buddies are hoping things turn out well. (I think I can safely speak for all of us in that regard). Keep us up to date!