Sunday, October 02, 2005

Wednesday is the day

New Orleans is opening again, starting Wednesday.

The plan is to drive in Tuesday with a Uhaul, Cat's parents and a minivan. We'll stay that night with my mom in Metairie, then all day Wednesday is the day of days. I know it's going to be a long day, both physically and mentally. There's the sheer labor of lugging boxes down stairs, but there's the added layers of sorting and judging: do I take this or that? Some of it's clear-cut, like the library and the DVDs and the photos.

I've always heard that money is power, but I don't think I've known that money is power and freedom until Katrina and life after her. If we didn't have a stash of money, we wouldn't be able to get gas or hotels or food. I know that man needs to break his back for his day of leisure, or to keep the devil's playthings out of idle hands, or another mixed reference regarding work, survival and fun. I've had a job of some kind almost constantly since the middle of high school. My mind keeps going back to a Danny DeVito line in a movie I can't recall about why they call it money. It's because everybody needs it.

No comments: