Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I cried when Floyd died

"Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control. ... I am prepared to believe that video games can be elegant, subtle, sophisticated, challenging and visually wonderful. But I believe the nature of the medium prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship to the stature of art." -Roger Ebert

"Games are popular art, collective social reactions to the main drive or action of any culture. Games, like institutions, are extensions of social man and of the body politic, as technologies are extensions of the animal organism. Both games and technologies are counter-irritants or ways of adjusting to the stress of the specialized actions that occur in any social group. As extensions of the popular response to the workaday stress, games become faithful models of a culture. They incorporate both the actions and the reactions of whole populations in a single dynamic image." -Marshall McLuhan

"I think the real indicator [of gaming's success as an art form] will be when somebody confesses that they cried at level 17." -Steven Spielberg

"I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like." -Gelett Burgess

Floyd asks if you want to play Hucka-Bucka-Beanstalk. -Planetfall

No comments: