Monday, January 16, 2006

First Day at Work

I woke up at 6:20 this morning to ensure I would beat the traffic. I left the house (er, apartment) at seven, and made it to the Dell Round Rock Campus at about 7:30.

I DO NOT SPEAK ON THE BEHALF OF DELL, INC. I AM NOT A DELL AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE.

I met up with my Dell trainer/manager, my Spherion manager, and about eight other new hire monkeys.

I DO NOT SPEAK ON THE BEHALF OF DELL, INC. I AM NOT A DELL AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE.

I think I may have found a ninja route for the drive home, as the drive also took only about a half-hour. I hope to find ways to shave a few minutes off this, now that I know my way.

Many things about this gig are new for me. I've never worked for a multinational corporation. I've never had this long of a commute before. I've never had to work in a cubicle. I've never had [DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS] weeks of training before a job. I've never worked in an environment with several chefs on duty in the cafeteria. Mmm, Szechuan Chicken stir-fry.

Can you tell I read the Dell policy on personal blogs? Incidentally, I'm unlikely to have access to my personal email (much less chat clients) during business hours for the indefinite future, so be advised.

I expect that I will miss my autonomy.

No comments: