Monday, July 17, 2006

Moving ink

The Times-Picayune has an article today on the rising trend of tattoos marking, memorializing, and commemorating Katrina and the aftermath.

The TP has four galleries of tattoo images for your viewing pleasure, plus a printable PDF spread from the paper with some higher-resolution images. I see many stirring images here, particularly the anonymous NOPD arm, the patchwork sewn-together fleur-de-lis, and the fellow with a National Guard spray-painted "this location has been searched" glyph on his neck.

Like most of us, I thought about getting a tattoo of something regrettable (I'm sure) back in my college days. After seeing what residents are doing now, particularly reading about the shifting demographic now getting fresh ink, I'm glad I never got something frivolous.

No comments: