Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cellular Housekeeping

I have a new cellular device.

Sadly, I don't have a better way to transfer my addressbook between my old phone and my new one beyond my thumbs. In the future, I would like to sync my phone and my computer automagically with Bluetooth and iSync. I know in my heart of hearts that personal area networks will feature prominently in how we live out lives in my lifetime. RFID be damned, I mean decisive, planned, controlled actions between a watch, a cell phone, a PDA, the house computer, your glasses, your car... the potential uses look like a huge exciting playground of possibilities to me. Blah blah caveat emptor blah blah security blah blah Windows blah blah ineffectual government lackeys.

By hand, I now go through my old phone and transcribe numbers into my computer, all the while making the decisions about whose numbers to keep. Even Pre-Katrina, this process forces a person to mentally go back to grade school and distinguish their best friends from their fourth best friends. Post-Katrina, I can't guarantee that a 504 area code still works, much less the person still has that number.

Now I have a 512 area code and one more piece of home is gone.

No comments: