Sunday, November 06, 2005

Outsourcing to a new level

I'm not a developer. I don't do code. I don't write programs. Normally, when folks talk about outsourcing jobs overseas, or if I read an amusing article on a guy who got outsourced and lost his job, I don't really think too much of it. I know we live in a free market, and if businesses can get cheaper labor overseas they'll use it, and (generally) pass the savings onto the consumer. Because of this, we live in a rich nation and have a disposable culture when it comes to goods. Because of outsourcing, we can buy a $40 DVD player in Wal-Mart and toss a broken one- it just makes sense and often costs less than getting something fixed.

Regular readers (I loves ya!) know that I went to a gaming convention just before Halloween. In flipping through the convention program, I saw an advert for a miniature painting service. "How cool," I thought. This means I can track down a copy of Space Hulk and get it painted by someone else."

Now, I've nothing against wargamers. Minis aren't my primary scene. I generally prefer more unit-based skirmishes than large battles with dozens of units. Of course, that won't stop me from stooping to play Risk 2210, as I did yesterday, and will rant about later. I also don't want to get into the hobby of painting figs and carting around lead. I simply don't have the time, inclination, nor the disposable income to pursue said hobby.

I took a look at the service in question, and their prices seem quite reasonable. "But where are they located?" quoth I. "As a sponsor of the con, they might be local, which would save on shipping."

The company is in Sri Lanka! Sri Lanka, the other hemisphere Sri Lanka, not Sri Lanka, Texas the little known suburb of the East Houston Sprawl!

So, should I want to follow through with this plan, I'd need to track down Space Hulk on eBay, separate out the figs from the sprues, pack them securely in a box with plenty of foam padding, call DHL of all people, SHIP MY TOYS TO SRI LANKA, and wait six to ten weeks.

I think I'll seek someone local instead.

No comments: