Saturday, November 26, 2005

It changes your whole day

Today, once again, I joined my brother for our daily stroll. As luck would have it, we had the opportunity to lunch together, and I got to try out a Middle Eastern place near campus called Kismet. I enjoyed my gyro and kibby immensely. So far, the best Middle Eastern I've had in Austin, though I've not gone to many restaurants yet.

I knew we would stroll near campus today, so I sort of intentionally wore my "Miskatonic Culinary School - Serving humanity since 1620" T-shirt. In case you don't know, Texas really loves their football, and Austin really loves their Longhorns. Some parts of the city have a burnt orange patina that stretches for miles. Well, blocks. I saw my Misk U. shirt as a reaction to the completely pervasive school spirit, and sort of looked forward to some guy coming up to me and saying, "Your school sucks!" Then I'd have the pleasure of explaining how a fiction school causes comedy.

Post-lunch, post-stroll, and post-air hockey tournament (Josh won one, I won one), we strolled back to Mojo's for some mutual jobseeking. I hit Craigslist, Indeed (a meta-search for jobs, very cool), UT Austin, and started to go through Dice. I did find one or two possibilities, but most everything game-related wants either artists or developers and most IT positions want programmers or people more alpha geek than I. All in all, I found the experience a little disheartening.

While at the coffee house, three people in two separate encounters commented on my shirt and how much they liked seeing Miskatonic apparel. Those comments totally put a smile on my face and reaffirmed my faith in geek chic. I marvel at how we can affect others' lives with the smallest of acts.

Go Pods!

No comments: