Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving, a day of dual consuming and gratitude.

I have many things to be thankful for, not the least of which is my life and the lives of everyone I know and love. Most every year around this time, one runs through the regular "There but for the grace of god go I" litany. I have a roof, I have food, I have my health, I have friends and family and my stuff. Everything from now on gets viewed through the lens of Katrina- not just my own situation, but the lives of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. When the planet reaches out and smacks you, I think it wise to listen.

Hence my plan for preventive hurricane measures by airlifting icebergs into the path of a hurricane to cool the water and disrupt the weather system.

I naturally mean "consume" in both senses: food and commerce. Some time back, I read in an old humor magazine a description of the two most effective exercises when it comes to holiday overindulgence. (Stop me if you've heard this before. No, wait- you can't.) One: You push yourself away from the table when you feel full. Two: You shake your head from side to side when offered seconds. Try these simple activities and I guarantee you'll see results.

If you have every worked retail (or still do), you know that tomorrow marks BLACK FRIDAY, the busiest shopping day of the year. You're either up to hit a department store that opens at 4AM or hiding in your closet, safe and secure in the knowledge that you are more elite than the bourgeois consumer.

On the entertainment front, today is also a day for the most excellent sequel to Katamari Damacy, We love Katamari. I've long had the first one, but I picked up the sequel yesterday from Fry's- my Geek Buffet of choice. This strange and addictive Japanese game of rolling stuff up merits its own non-Turkey Day post. Suffice it to say that I think this PlayStation 2 game rocks so much that I think you should purchase it before you read my review. And if you purchase it using the below links, you support a Katrina evacuee.

Don't forget, you can shop online and not worry about traffic or parking. :)

No comments: