Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Nickel tour: Frailty (2001)

Here's the nickel tour:

Bill Paxton directs a movie. Game over, man! This movie presents as a crime drama with supernatural overtones- a "Thriller," to use the vernacular. The movie opens with Matthew McConaughey telling an FBI agent that his father and brother acted as the "God's Hand" serial killer. Flashback, flashback, current event, flashback, flashback, twist, revelatory ending. Frailty left me wanting- I even predicted the twist, which I'm notoriously blonde about not doing. I kept thinking of the not-too-shabby Stir of Echoes, which is a solid ghost story weakened by a contemporary release. Frailty, on the other hand, is one of those movies that improve if you tell the plot to someone, but I won't go so far as to say it's a great premise that was poorly handled. I give it a solid "I've already forgotten it."

No comments: